In this blog, we’ll be discussing the top risks associated with ordering the abortion pill online and dive into the details of what you should do before you access an abortion.
1. Ordering medication online can lead to taking drugs that aren’t tested or approved by the FDA
The United States has a strict process of evaluation and testing that drugs go through in order to be approved as safe for consumption. While ordering the abortion pill online definitely sounds like the most convenient option, there are many so-called pharmaceutical sites that are selling non-FDA approved medications that can lead to harmful complications and side effects.
2. You might be too far along or have health conditions that will lead to complications
Taking the abortion pill is a serious medical decision and requires certain testing and
screenings to prevent unnecessary complications, such as incomplete abortions, infections, and hemorrhaging.
Because the abortion pill can only be given to women within the first nine weeks of gestation, an abortion attempt any later might not be effective. Additionally, it’s important to be screened for medical conditions, such as ectopic pregnancy or STD infections, to know if taking the abortion pill will be safe for you.
In order to avoid these dangerous risks, it’s essential that you schedule an appointment for an ultrasound. We offer free ultrasound referrals so you can get the answers you need.
3. The abortion pill can lead to fatal consequences
The abortion pill can have fatal consequences if not taken properly or if other health complications arise and are not addressed. The FDA-approved abortion pill packaging states, “WARNING: SERIOUS AND SOMETIMES FATAL INFECTIONS OR BLEEDING.” Because of this serious risk, the abortion pill should only be accessed through authorized providers.
4. Taking the abortion pill at home and without medical supervision can lead to serious side effects going unaddressed
The abortion pill can be accompanied by some painful and uncomfortable side effects, including cramping, bleeding, nausea, vomiting, pain in the abdomen, fever, and chills.
In addition to these side effects, you may also encounter some serious risks, including potentially fatal hemorrhaging and infections. Because the abortion pill is often completed at home, serious conditions can be left untreated and can lead to fatalities.
5. At-home abortions can lead to trauma and mental health complications
Completing an abortion at home can be a traumatic experience for many women and feelings of guilt, regret, and shame can lead to long-lasting mental health issues.1
What should I do before I consider abortion?
If you’re experiencing an unplanned pregnancy and are considering termination, it’s essential for your health and safety that you first take the following steps:
1. Receive lab-quality pregnancy tests
2. Get an ultrasound to provide more information and confirm the pregnancy
3. Receive options counseling from a trained professional so that you can learn and understand the options available to you — including parenting, abortion, and adoption.
Schedule a Free Appointment
Boston Center for Pregnancy Choices offers all of these services and resources you need to make an informed decision about your pregnancy, all provided at no cost to you!
Contact us to schedule a free appointment.
- Broen AN, Moum T, Bødtker AS, Ekeberg O. The course of mental health after miscarriage and induced abortion: a longitudinal, fiveyear follow-up study. BMC Med. 2005;3:18.