The choice to have an abortion is often one of the toughest decisions a woman will make in her life. After making this decision, a woman may have many different unexpected thoughts or emotions.
If you would like help processing these thoughts and emotions, Boston Center for Pregnancy Choices has the information and resources to help as your needs require. We offer after-abortion counseling to help you through this difficult time as well as other free pregnancy services. Below, you will find a checklist addressing some common post-abortion thoughts. If you find yourself answering yes to any or all of the following questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to help!
- Since your abortion, have you struggled to stop thinking about the procedure?
- Do you change the subject in conversations where abortion comes up?
- Do you find it difficult to forgive yourself or those around you regarding your abortion?
- Do physical reminders (babies, pregnant women, baby clothes, etc.) make you uncomfortable?
- Do you feel that you are unable to feel comfortable around children?
- Do certain times of the year related to your abortion (the anniversary of your procedure, for example) make you depressed or upset?
- Do you find yourself engaging in drug or alcohol use on a more regular basis since your abortion? Have you engaged in any other self-destructive behavior since your procedure (eating disorders, abusive relationships, etc.)?
- Has the time since your abortion brought along increased depressive or suicidal thoughts?
- Have you experienced an increased desire to talk to someone about either your abortion or your post-abortion experience?
- If a post-abortion program were available to women like you to help you work through your troubling thoughts or experiences, would you have a desire to attend?
Contact us to make an appointment today.